Class of '97
Dear Class of ’97:
This time of year always brings back memories of Christmas at Christ Chapel, finals, and the upcoming J-term. While many of us have kids of our own that are just beginning their school years, can you believe the class of 2014 has started at Gustavus? These kids have been texting for years, but when we began, we were just getting used to email. Do you think college students are now ordering their drinks at Patrick’s via their iPhone? How quickly things change!
Speaking of technology, have you been on Facebook lately? Have you "friended" Gustavus? It’s a great way to catch up with the latest at dear old GAC.
Here’s an update of what is happening with your fellow classmates...
- Brian and Kristy Rolig welcomed baby girl, Ingrid Lee Rolig, on March 27, 2010. Brian also returned in 2009 from his Peace Corps service in Malawi, southern Africa where he was a teacher development facilitator from 2007-2009. He is now an English teacher in the St. Paul public school system.
- Jennifer Vickerman is an independent representative for Silpada Designs.
- Kimberly Miller and Steve Bui welcomed baby boy, Logan Scott Bui, on January 30, 2010.
- Mike Logan is working in Target Corporation’s government affairs department.
- Stefanie Tucker is a director with PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
- Erika Reckling and Jason Durheim were married on October 17, 2010.
- Kristi (Reidt) and Jorg Granacher welcomed baby boy, Luca Paul, on November 17, 2009.
- Johan Linder is studying at Oregon State University.
- Melissa LeVesque-Piela is a Realtor with Coldwell Banker Burnet.
- Scott and Jennifer (Nelson ʼ98) Tricker welcomed baby girl, Lauren Ruth, on February 19, 2010.
- Betsy Maloney-Leaf is earning her Ph.D. in art education from the University of Minnesota.
Here’s what is happening at Gustavus…..
The Gustavus Alumni Association is bringing together about 25,000 Gusties to celebrate the College’s 150th anniversary. In partnership with Publishing Concepts, Inc. (PCI), Gustavus will produce the 150th Anniversary Commemorative Alumni Directory. Over the next couple of months, PCI will be contacting Gustavus alumni via phone, mail, and e-mail to request that you update your information. We know you don’t want to provide your information to just anyone, so we want you to be aware of this project and encourage your participation. For more information, call the Office of Alumni Relations at 800-487-8437.
Athletics Hall of Fame
Gustavus inducted new members into its Athletics Hall of Fame at a banquet on Saturday, October 9. Inductees for 2010 are: Evie Cieslar Erdman ’73, benefactor; Duke Paluch ’84, tennis; Erik Allen ’92, basketball; Peter Anderson ’92, golf; Leigh Stocker Berger ’92, volleyball; Angela White Vick ’92, track and field; Heidi Rostberg Carlson ’93, tennis; Erik Hendrikson ’94, hockey, football; Paige Tierney Sullivan ’95, soccer; and the Hall of Fame Moment−1990 Women’s Tennis National Championship.
“Come on You Gusties” Breakfast
Once a month, Gusties gather for coffee, breakfast, and great conversation along with a campus speaker. All Gusties are welcomed and invited to the breakfast, third Wednesday of the month, 8-9:30 a.m. at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard. Cost is $10 at the door. Upcoming breakfasts include: Neal Hagberg ’81 and Leandra Peak ’83, musicians, on Dec. 15; and the winter sports coaches on Jan. 19.
This year and next, President and Kris Ohle have many travel dates planned in order to reach out to all of our alumni and bring them an update from the College. Please mark your calendar if you live in or near one of these locations:
- Palm Springs – January 7
- Los Angeles – January 8
- San Francisco – January 9
- Seattle – January 27
- Tucson – February 8
- Phoenix – February 10
- Denver – February 11
- Boston – March 2
- New York – March 4
- Washington, DC – March 5
- Jacksonville, FL – March 26
- Orlando – March 28
- Tampa – March 29
- Naples – March 30
- Chicago – April 29
That is all of the news for now! Continue to send on your updates and photos– we love to hear from you!
Please remember to keep Gustavus on your list for charitable donations. The college has thrived over the years on its support from such a strong alumni base, and in order to keep the quality of the education and the quality of the experience strong for incoming students, the college needs your support. As class agents our goal has always been to see the Class of 1997 have high participation in the annual fund. By giving, it isn’t the amount that is critical, but the fact that you give what you can as a way of saying thanks for the experience that you had at Gustavus!
Josh, Stef, and Melissa
1997 Co-class Agents