Class of '97
10-Year Reunion ― October 12 &13, 2007
Dear Class of ’97,
Fall has arrived at Gustavus and things are moving and shaking as always. The Class of ’96 just held their TEN YEAR reunion during Homecoming weekend. Yes, ten years have almost gone by for us as well and we would love for everyone to join in our reunion next year! Please mark you calendars for the weekend of October 12-13, 2007.
And now, here’s the latest of what is happening at Gustavus…
Honor Roll of Donors
If you haven’t had a chance to find yourself online, please go to: gustavus.edu/giving/honorroll to check out the 2005-2006 Honor Roll of Donors. The Honor Roll of Donors recognizes those who made gifts to Gustavus between June 1, 2005, and May 31, 2006. To find your name or check your class results, just point and click from your home or office computer. For those who do not have access to a computer, you may call toll-free 866/487-3863 to receive a copy in the mail (supplies are limited).
Obtain Life Insurance at Group Rates
September was Life Insurance Awareness Month. According to a recent national survey, 68 million Americans have no life insurance. Fortunately, the Alumni Association sponsors a life insurance plan, Life for Life, with exceptional features and low initial rates. Maximum coverage is $2 million and insurance can increase repeatedly even if your health fails and you become uninsurable. Obtain information online with the Alumni Association partner, www.meyerandassoc.com/ma/gustavus or call 800-635-7801 for more information about this and other sponsored insurance.
Omega Kappa Fraternity Celebrates 100 Years
The OKs celebrated 100 years of Modesty, Diversity, and Brotherhood on Saturday, October 21, at the Science Museum on Minnesota in St. Paul. The evening was filled with stories, photos, shared memories, artifacts, histories, and singing.
Gustavus Alumni Professional Apparel
Check out the two new oxfords on sale online through the Gustavus Book Mark. The Book Mark is offering a women’s and men’s long sleeve shirt in a variety of colors and sizes. The shirt features an embroidered three crowns and Gustavus. A great idea for holiday shopping for your favorite Gustie. Check them out online only at www.bookmark.gustavus.edu/.
Athletic Hall of Fame Induction
On Saturday, September 30, Gustavus inducted the following people into the Athletic Hall of Fame: Deborah Jungwirth Borman ’87 - Volleyball, Tina Pulido Draper ’87 - Gymnastics, John Huepenbecker ’80 - Football, John Jambeck ’62 - Swimming, Deanne Sand Johnson ’89 - Tennis, Dick Kumlin ’55 (posthumously) – Basketball, Dan Prochnow ’78 - Golf, Jerilyn Ree ’88 - Basketball, and Stacey Rodman ’89 - Swimming.
Gustavus Legacy Award for Gustavus Admission
Mark Anderson, Vice President of Admission and Student Financial Assistance, is pleased to announce the Gustavus Legacy Award for new students beginning with the incoming class of 2007. Renewable awards of $2,500 per year are given to new students whose siblings are current Gustavus students or graduates or whose parents or grandparents are Gustavus alumni. Scholarship recipients must have a high school grade point average of at least 3.5 or an ACT of 26 or an 1170 (Critical Reading + Math) on the SAT. For more information contact the Admission Office at 800/GUSTAVU(S) or email <email@example.com>.
And now here is an update of what is happening with your fellow classmates…
- Brad and Rebecca Nuss welcomed baby girl, Bronwyn Skye Nuss, on May 9, 2006. Brad is also the vice-president and CFO of Nuss Truck Group, Inc.
- Craig Karnitz teaches physical education at the Singapore American School in Singapore. His wife, Beth (Hadland ’99) is a third grade teacher at Singapore American School.
- Melissa Stirn Johnson is a financial analyst at Ehlers & Associates, Inc.
- Katherine Blanchard Shiroff is a non-profit manager at Colorado CASA. Katherine also welcomed baby girl, Sophia Shoshana Shiroff on March 3, 2006.
- Katie Anderson is a youth services consultant at the Oregon State Library.
- Amy Dragland-Johnson is a promotion manager at S. C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- Mary Babel is a registered nurse and a stay at home mom, for her new son, Ryan Maxwell, born on May 3, 2006.
- Carrie Swanson Enstad and husband, Chris ’96, welcomed baby girl, Liv Eleanor, on January 20, 2006. Carrie is also the choral director at The Blake School.
- Josh and Michele Johnson welcomed son, Alexander, on November 27, 2005.
- JennySue (Abbott) and Ryan Smith had a baby boy, Brady Abbott Smith, on February 15, 2006.
- Christopher Roberts is a programmer at CTG, Inc. Daphne Gries Roberts is a homemaker and substitute teacher in the Rochester school district.
- Julie Buerkle Radniecki is a stay-at-home mom. She and Matt welcomed their second daughter, Maya, on April 8, 2005.
- Adam McFarlane is a judge for the Private Eye Writers of America’s annual best short story contest.
- Scott Tricker, Lincoln, NE, is national sales director at Landscapes Unlimited, the world’s largest builder of golf courses.
- Heather Duggan and Kyle Anderson welcome their second daughter, Lucia Sandra, on September 10, 2005.
- Alicia Johnson Manley is a training specialist for Target Corporation.
- Jennie Wald Phillips and husband, Kimo, welcomed daughter, Reagan Emily, on January 4, 2006.
- Amanda Marine Johnston and husband, Jeremy, brought baby boy, Samuel Everett, into the world on March 3, 2005.
- Rachel Henderson and Mark King were married on May 18, 2006.
- Reba Williams is an assistant nurse manager at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
- Vihra Sotirova married Dan Colosi on October 1, 2005. Vihra is a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Connecticut. Vihra is studying biomedical sciences with a concentration in genetics and developmental biology.
- Lisa Mueller and Kyle Christensen were married on April 21, 2006.
- Neil Bentley and wife, Alison, welcomed daughter, Morgan, on December 10, 2005.
- Thomas VanDeGrift is a senior engineer at Qualcomm, Inc. in Portland, OR. His wife, Tammy (Williams ’99) is an assistant professor, School of Engineering at the University of Portland.
- Amber Shockey Nurmi is the owner of Healthy Pet in West Linn, OR. Jim Nurmi is a staff researcher in the department of biochemistry and environmental studies at Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology.
- Jake and Holly (Wangsness) Dau, welcomed their son, Maxwell Adams, on April 20, 2006.
The following photo is from the “Far Side” girls reunion held in Nederland, CO, in August 2006. Back row: Heather Duggan Anderson, Alissa Midthune Maloney, Mara Berkland, Holly Wangsness Dau, Stefanie Tucker, Jennifer Johnson Cords. Front row: Jill Watson Swanson, Julie Buerkle Radniecki, and Tina Smith Walker.
That is all of the news for now! Continue to send on your updates and photos―we love to hear from you and looking forward to seeing you soon!
Josh, Stef, Melissa, and Jon
1997 Co-class Agents