Class of '97
Hello 1997 Classmates & Friends,
Greetings from Boise, Idaho! This edition of the class letter is coming to you from Jon Swanson. Every January, or in this case March/April, we will hope to bring you a Guest Writer for our class letter. The purpose for this is so you can hear from different people throughout our Class of 1997 and not just from your class agents. In order to do this, we will need your help in letting us know if you are interested in being the ‘guest writer.’ What we would be looking for from a guest writer would be a short update on what you are doing and where you are located, perhaps a few favorite memories from your days at Gustavus, and any other pertinent information you feel would be appropriate. If you are interested or have questions regarding being a guest writer you can contact any of us through the alumni portion of the Gustavus web page: gustavus.edu.
It has been a while since we have been in touch and for that we do apologize. As you will see as you read this edition of our class letter, we have been a very busy class! New jobs, graduate school, new spouses, and NEW CHILDREN! I hope you find this letter as much fun to read as it was for me to write. Before we go any further, please keep sending information to the Alumni Office so we may include your information.
- Ashley Baker – financial advisor for Morgan, Stanley, Dean & Witter in Ocala, Florida.
- Lana Bauer – 2nd grade teacher at Breckenridge Elementary School.
- Matt Bauler – recently moved to Memphis, TN, and took a job with GTX Inc.
- Tami Brown McQuoid – RN labor and delivery travel nurse, Valley Presbyterian Hospital in Los Angeles, CA.
- Kate Blanchard – program manager at Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Colorado in Denver.
- Amber Tischler Blasl – elementary school teacher in North Mankato, MN.
- Jill Buhse Anderson - music buyer at Best Buy. Sing/lead worship for Woodland Hills Church in St. Paul, MN.
- Adam Chose – communications and information support Greater Wayzata Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Chris Choukalas – market research analyst for MedProbe Inc. in Minneapolis, MN.
- Andrea Cordes – 2nd grade teacher for Bloomington Public Schools in Bloomington, MN.
- Elizabeth Couchman – teacher at Highlands Elementary School in Edina, MN.
- Jeffrey Couchman – reinsurance analyst at EW Blanch Company in Minneapolis, MN.
- Daniel Drewitz – director of research at Analytics Investments Advisors in Excelsior, MN.
- Kathryn Ewalt – certified athletic trainer in the sports medicine clinic at Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital in San Diego, CA.
- Andrew Feyder – currently a Peace Corps volunteer in the Kingdom of Tonga, South Pacific (he was evacuated from the Solomon Islands last month due to political unrest). He is working with a music program in a high school in the Vava’u island group.
- Joanna Gaines – instructor at Inlingua Language Institute in Germany.
- Kristen Ganyo – Deaf/Hard of Hearing for Minnesota River Valley Special Education Cooperative in Burnsville, MN.
- Travis Garms – works for Deloitte & Touche in Denver, CO.
- Andrew Gunsaullus – financial advisor at American Express in Las Vegas, NV.
- Toby Hatlevig – works at Hamline University as an assistant football and track coach in St. Paul, MN.
- Courtney Henderson – intake/services counselor for the Cascade AIDS Project in Portland, OR.
- Adam Holmes – project manager in Variman Companies in Hopkins, MN.
- Shawn Kirsch – started a new job as a regulatory chemist in the Optical System Division for 3M in St. Paul, MN.
- Bradley Kirscher – associate at the Law Offices of David M. Goldstein, P.A. in Miami, FL.
- Prinna Lundquist – started a new job as a marketing communications manager for cMore Medical Solutions, a start-up medical software company in Minneapolis, MN.
- Amanda Marine – 7th grade social studies teacher at Powell Middle School in Powell, Wyoming.
- Heather McCleery – prosecutor for Ramsey County Attorney’s Office in St. Paul, MN.
- Sarah Marohn Miller – music teacher at Waunakee Music School in Madison, WI.
- Alissa Midthune Maloney – working on an Interventional Cardiology Unit as a RN at St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester, MN.
- Chandra Wobschall Millner – accountant at Crystal Farms in Shoreview, MN.
- Kari Moody Shumaker – working part time at St. Benedict’s Center Nursing Home in St. Cloud, MN, and teaching piano lessons out of her home in Paynesville, MN.
- Jennifer Mull – transitional first grade teacher at Sutton Elementary School in Tecumseh, MI.
- Peter Peterson – network administrator for the US Merchant Marine Academy in Manhattan, NY.
- Sarah Peterson Hill – athletic trainer for Fairview in St. Paul, MN.
- Anne Schawer Rood – teacher for Centennial ISD #12 in Rush City, MN.
- Kathleen Schiltz – employed by Resource Company in Minneapolis, MN.
- Megan Cronin Sammelson – sales representative for Schurman Fine Papers in Minneapolis, MN.
- Sarah Ulwelling – teaching at John Marshall High School in Rochester, MN.
- Mark Youngdahl – Accredited Investors Financial Planning assistant in Eagan, MN.
- Jill Budach Bergman – pursuing master’s of Divinity at Luther Seminary, St. Paul, MN.
- Robert Cramer – pursuing MBA at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI.
- Kathryn Detmer Harnetiaux – pursuing master’s in elementary education at Seattle University in Seattle, WA.
- Kristin Ganyo – graduated with a master’s in education in deaf education from the University of Minnesota.
- Barbara Freimuth Siefkin – graduated with a master’s in physical therapy from the College of St. Catherine in St. Paul, MN.
- Eric Gilbertson – In his 4th year of medical school at Des Moines University and is currently doing residency work at Regent’s Hospital in St. Paul, MN.
- Alex Hill – graduate student at the University of Minnesota.
- Anna Radjenovich Holmes – pursuing degree in physical therapy at the College of St. Catherine.
- Elizabeth Dalen Larter – interior design student at the University of Minnesota.
- Nathan Miller – graduate student at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.
- Paul Mueller – just passed his oral candidacy exam for a Ph.D. in government at the University of Notre Dame and in the process of finishing a manuscript entitled "The Politics of Cultural Differences" to be published by Princeton University Press in the summer of 2001.
- Erik Schroeder – third-year medical student at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
- Travis Sletta – graduate student in the choral conducting program at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and serves as an assistant conductor.
- Rolf Simonson – second-year medical student at the University of Minnesota Medical School.
- Jill Watson Swanson – will graduate in May 2001 with a master’s degree in speech–language pathology from Idaho State University in Boise, ID.
- Erika Busby married Corey Atkinson on October 7, 2000.
- Elizabeth Dalen married Dan Larter ’96 on June 23, 2000
- Eric Gilbertson married Karol Afdahl ’98 on July 17, 1999.
- Andrew Gunsaullus married Shawn Marie Severson on August 20, 1999 in St. Paul, MN.
- Alex Hill married Sarah A. Peterson on July 22, 2000.
- Adam Holmes married Anna Radjenovich on August 5, 2000.
- Jessica McGregor married Matt Wittig on July 15, 2000.
- Rachel Michael married Erik Nilsson on September 2, 2000.
- Nathan Miller married Sarah Marohn on October 21, 2000.
- Anne Schawer married Lee Rood on June 24, 2000.
- Erik Schroeder married Andrea Honermann on June 17, 2000 in Mankato, MN.
- Shannon Siefkin married Barbara Freimuth on June 17, 2000 in New Brighton, MN.
- Rolf Simonson married Megan Cronin on August 25, 2000 in Minneapolis, MN.
- Kimberly Smith married Shane Wernsing ’95 on April 8, 2001 in Edina, MN.
- Jon Swanson married Jill Watson on August 12, 2000 in Schaller, IA.
- Tobias Thorsell married Shannon Eliason on February 2, 2000.
- Amber Tischler married Dan Blasl.
- Sarah Ulwelling is engaged to Thang Nguyen of Rochester, MN.
- Tom VanDeGrift married Tammy Williams ’99 on August 12, 2000 in Silverton, OR.
- Jill Budach Bergman and Randall Bergman had a baby girl, Cassandra Morgan, on September 19, 2000.
- Molly Ess Breimhorst and Scott Breimhorst had a baby girl, Eve Victoria, on September 23, 2000.
- Bradley Garry and Stacey Garry had a baby boy, Logan Garry, on July 12, 2000.
- Alissa Midthune Maloney and Mark Maloney had a baby boy, Keagan Andrew, on June 13, 2000.
- Kari Moody Shumaker and Paul Shumaker had twin baby girls, Mari Ana and Teagan Jan, on August 16, 2000.
- Lori Bresin Oachs and Dan Oachs had a baby boy, Isaac Martin, on June 19, 2000.
Kevin Myers won an Emmy at the 41st annual NATAS Midwest Emmy awards ceremony held in Chicago. He is a producer in the creative services department of KMSP/UPN 9 in Eden Prairie, MN.
Myers, along with three co-workers produced the "We Get It" spots that aired on Channel 9. The series was nominated in the News Promotion Single Announcement or Campaign category. Knowing Kevin’s personality, that is an acceptance speech I would love to see! Congratulations Kevin, keep up the good work!
1997 Co-Class Agent