Class of '95
Dear Class of 1995,
Have you seen any Gusties lately? Maybe you ran into someone at the State Fair this summer or went down to Gustavus for Homecoming this fall and were surrounded! Last week I found three Gusties without even trying. I saw one Gustie on TV, recognized another while dropping my daughter off for preschool and found out a mom in one of my classes is married to a Gustie. I love that even though I’ve been out of college for 11 years I’m still surrounded by people who share a common experience and who are usually more than willing to reminisce about the good old days at Gustavus.
These are the “mini reunions” that bring me joy and keep me connected to Gustavus. Below is our class news or the written version of these “mini reunions.” I know some people who just pour through this news looking for updates from old friends or “gribbing” people they don’t recognize (do you still have a Grib?!?). It’s a great way for us to keep in touch, just in case we don’t run into each other anytime soon. If you have any interesting Gustie encounters to share or news for the class, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, you may have received a call from a Gustavus student in November to collect your class news and invite your annual Alumni Fund Gift. Please consider giving generously to a place that’s given so much to you. Have a happy and blessed fall!
Your class agents,
Sara Tollefson Currell
- Steve Strege and his wife, Aimee, had a baby boy, Owen Stephen, on May 8, 2006.
- Colin Hirdman was covered in a Star Tribune article in January 2006. The article explained that Hirdman is the president of a company, Vencio Inc., that caters to the mailing needs of corporate marketing departments.
- Stacy McMurtry Freimuth and her husband, Robert, had a baby boy, Samuel David, on May 3, 2006.
- Cory Civilla married Lori Elizabeth Warren on April 8, 2006.
- Kari Bisbee O’Connell and her husband, Chris, had a baby boy, Jack William, on December 7, 2005. Kari is a forest director for the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest.
- Eric Persson resides in Sweden and is the vice president, Business Development at Axel Johnson AB.
- CindyLynn “CL” Swatland has a new job as programme manager of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. In connection with her job, CL is living in India.
- Eric Youngdahl and his wife, Lindsay (Townsend ’02), had a baby boy, Ford Brody, on February 20, 2006.
This photo taken at the wedding of Scott Hoss and Emily Botten ’97 on August 7, 2004 was submitted some time ago, but some letters were missed and then it was put aside and forgotten until now―apologies on the lateness.
- Lisa Martin Stone and her husband, Paul, had a baby boy, Griffin, on March 26, 2006.
- Jeff and Deb (Boelter) Dahlby, welcomed daughter, Erika Lynn, on April 8, 2006. Erika joins big sister Anna and big brother Nathan.
- Gretchen Michlitsch married Allen Hillery on June 23, 2006. The wedding was at Sylvan Lake in the Black Hills.
Gustavus Designated an “All Steinway School”
Steinway and Sons, makers of what many would say are the best pianos, has added Gustavus to its “All Steinway Schools” list. This is an exclusive list of just 66 colleges, universities, or conservatories in the world. To be considered for the Steinway designation, a school must first have at least 90 percent of its performance, practice, and teaching pianos be Steinways.
Gustavus Excels in Fitness and Dining
Men’s Fitness magazine has named Gustavus as one of the top 10 colleges in America for fitness. Among the things considered in the rankings were nutrition and dining choices, whether physical fitness is included in the curriculum, and availability of workout equipment. They also examined individual student responses to questions on topics such as alcohol consumption, tobacco use, fast-food indulgence, and exercise habits. On a related note, the Gustavus Dining Service was listed in the top 10 in a U.S. News and World Report survey on the best campus food in America.
Gustavus Alumni Professional Apparel
Check out the two new oxfords on sale online through the Gustavus Book Mark. The Book Mark is offering a women’s and men’s long sleeve shirt in a variety of colors and sizes. The shirt features an embroidered three crowns and Gustavus. A great idea for holiday shopping for your favorite Gustie. Check them out online only at www.bookmark.gustavus.edu/.
Athletic Hall of Fame Induction
On Saturday, September 30, Gustavus inducted the following people into the Athletic Hall of Fame: Deborah Jungwirth Borman ’87 - Volleyball, Tina Pulido Draper ’87 - Gymnastics, John Huepenbecker ’80 - Football, John Jambeck ’62 - Swimming, Deanne Sand Johnson ’89 - Tennis, Dick Kumlin ’55 (posthumously) – Basketball, Dan Prochnow ’78 - Golf, Jerilyn Ree ’88 - Basketball, and Stacey Rodman ’89 - Swimming.
Honor Roll of Donors
If you haven’t had a chance to find yourself online, please go to gustavus.edu/giving/honorroll to check out the 2005-2006 Honor Roll of Donors. The Honor Roll of Donors recognizes those who made gifts to Gustavus between June 1, 2005, and May 31, 2006. To find your name or check your class results, just point and click from your home or office computer. For those who do not have access to a computer, you may call toll-free 866/487-3863 to receive a copy in the mail (supplies are limited).
Obtain Life Insurance at Group Rates
The Alumni Association sponsors a life insurance plan, Life for Life, with exceptional features and low initial rates. Maximum coverage is $2 million and insurance can increase repeatedly even if your health fails and you become uninsurable. Obtain information online with the Alumni Association partner, www.meyerandassoc.com/ma/gustavus or call 800-635-7801 for more information about this and other sponsored insurance.
Gustavus Legacy Award for Gustavus Admission
Mark Anderson, Vice President of Admission and Student Financial Assistance, is pleased to announce the Gustavus Legacy Award for new students beginning with the incoming class of 2007. Renewable awards of $2,500 per year are given to new students whose siblings are current Gustavus students or graduates or whose parents or grandparents are Gustavus alumni. Scholarship recipients must have a high school grade point average of at least 3.5 or an ACT of 26 or an 1170 (Critical Reading + Math) on the SAT. For more information contact the Admission Office at 800/GUSTAVU(S) or email <email@example.com>.
Upcoming Gustavus Events
- Washington DC Area Gustie Gathering – December 3 to watch the Vikings
- Christmas in Christ Chapel “An American Odyssey” – December 1-3
- Jacksonville Chapter Gathering – February 11
- Orlando Chapter Gathering – February 13
- Tampa Bay Chapter Gathering – February 15
- Naples/Marco Island Chapter Gathering – February 17
- Tucson Chapter Gathering – March 16
- Phoenix Chapter Gathering – March 17
- Sun City Chapter Gathering – March 18