Class of '95
We hope everyone had a great holiday season. It’s time for another update on our classmates and happenings at Gustavus.
Five Year Reunion
It was great to see so many of you at our Five-Year Reunion! Hopefully everyone had a good time at Grandma’s on Friday night and the weather couldn’t have been more beautiful for the football game on campus on Saturday. The Gusties were victorious, beating Concordia 39-22.
It’s hard to believe that it has been five years already. It’s fun to hear how much has happened in the lives of our classmates over the past five years¾ graduate school, new jobs, travels, marriages, babies, etc.!
Many of you received a phone call from one of your classmates or a current Gustavus student during fall Phonorama. If you haven’t heard from anyone yet, you should expect to be contacted in the next couple of months. Giving back to Gustavus is a great way to support the college and help students take advantage of the wonderful opportunities we had as students. In addition to making a donation to the college, please provide updated information, such as new addresses, new job information or news about engagements, marriages and births, so that we can get that information into the Gustavus Quarterly and our class letters to keep the Class of 1995 in touch with what our classmates are doing these days!
- Amy Margaret Schilman and Jeffrey Eric Mimm were married on April 29, 2000 at Redeemer Lutheran Church in New Ulm, MN.
- Scott Moe and Sarah Garrison ’02 were married on June 13, 2000 in Mankato, MN.
- Jill Woods and Matthew Ross were married on March 4, 2000.
- Shane Wernsing and Kimberly Smith ’97 were married on April 8, 2000 at Normandale Lutheran Church in Edina, MN.
- Cassandra Leitte McWhorter and her husband, Todd, had a son, Bryce Allen, on May 23, 2000.
- Kristen Maust was married to Dave Huber on April 29, 2000. Kristen is a research assistance at US Bancorp Piper Jaffray and Dave is a senior staff accountant at Cargill.
- Kristine Peterson Hammar and Lars had a boy named Leif Anders on November 28, 1999.
- Nels Pierson III and Nicole Marie Pretzer were married on June 10, 2000 on Zumbro Lake in rural Oronoco. Nels is employed in sales and leasing at Tom Kadlec Pontiac Honda, Rochester, MN, and Nicole is studying architecture.
- Greta Gerlach Schetnan and Judd Schetnan ’94 had a boy, Noah John Schetnan, on April 11, 2000.
- Lee Arvidson married Kristan Nalezny on May 26, 2000 in Stillwater, MN. Lee also received his MBA from the Carlson School of Management on May 14, 2000.
- Carmen Parmer and Per-Johan Berger ’93 were married in June 2000.
- Courtney Camrud and Aric Kinney were married May 6, 2000. Courtney and Aric are both physical therapists at Aurora HealthCare.
- Mark Nechanicky was married to Taryn Israel on June 11, 2000 in Ann Arbor, MI.
Education and Job News
- Heather Lynn Teune received the master of divinity degree from Luther Seminary on Sunday, May 21 at Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis. Heather is an associate pastor at Peace Lutheran Church in Coon Rapids, MN.
- Nathan Crowe is the assistant Redwood County attorney.
- Peter Wahl is an associate at Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld in Dallas, TX following his graduation from the University of Minnesota law school.
- Matthew Cadwell published a book A History of Episcopal Divinity School: In Celebration of its Twenty-Fifth Anniversary. Matt graduated from Episcopal Divinity School in 1999 with a master of divinity degree.
- Holly Grefe is a choir director at Layfayette High School.
- Greta Johnson Petrich is a columnist, reporter and photographer for the Echo Press newspaper in Alexandria, MN.
- Ben Jensen is a dentist at Tooth By The Lake Family Dental Care in Hopkins, MN.
- Brian Hedeen manages the credit department for Anchor Bank in Wayzata, MN.
- Kristin Bahner is employed by Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Daniel Berg has spent four summers in Yellowstone National Park maintaining the backcountry trail system¾ bridge construction, trail re-routing, etc. He has spent two winters as an intern with a local artist/potter to learn about ceramics. He purchased land in the mountains outside Bozeman to build a home.
- Mandy Fluegge Schwarzrock is an R.N. in the New Ulm Medical Center, working in the intensive care unit and on the medical surgery floor.
- April Kukuck graduated from veterinary school in May and moved to Hilbert, WI to work at a mixed animal practice. She also recently got engaged and will be married on June 30, 2001.
- Stacie Rosen is a financial advisor at Morgan, Stanley, Dean-Witter in New York City.
- Lisa Frame-Koppelman is employed by American Express Financial Advisors in St. Cloud, MN.
- Mya Follansbee is an associate, public programs at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.
- Joe Gaugler is an assistant professor at the Center on Aging in Lexington, KY.
- Todd Murphy is employed by Andersen Consulting.
Sara Teigen Colgalzier’s husband, Joshua, died November 6, 1999 in a ski accident at Keystone, CO. Sara and Joshua were married June 21, 1997 and had been living in Denver. A memorial service was held in the Minneapolis area. Our condolences to Sara in her loss.
The Gustavus campus is enjoying another busy and exciting January Term with 2300-plus students enrolled for credit! We are offering over 100 January Term courses, including 16 travel courses (plus 36 international courses through our UMAIE consortium). There are also 15 courses on the special Environmental Studies theme for J-Term 2001. Some of these courses include, Chemistry in the Environment, The Literature of Winter, Geographical Issues in the Third World, Global Environmental Change, Amazonia: An Eco-Historical Perspective, GIS in Environmental Analysis, The Changing Face of Agriculture, and Environmental Journalism. Next year (2002) the January Term theme will be "Global Village" and will feature both international and domestic diversity focused courses. After that J-Term themes are planned for "Service-Learning" (2003) and "Undergraduate Research" (2004).
You are invited and encouraged to attend these upcoming national chapter alumni events. Invitations are sent to alumni in chapters. For more information, please call the Alumni Office at 800-487-8437 or look on the web at gustavus.edu.
- Seattle Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, January 13
- Portland Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, January 15
- Bay Area Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concerts, January 17-19
- San Diego Chapter, pre-concert dinner and Gustavus Choir Concert, January 21
- Los Angeles Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concerts, January 22 & 24
- Sun City Chapter, pre-concert dinner and Gustavus Choir Concert, January 25
- Phoenix Chapter, pre-concert dinner and Gustavus Choir Concert, January 26
- Tucson Chapter gathering on January 27
- Albuquerque Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, January 28
- Santa Fe Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, January 29
- Denver Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concerts, January 30 & 31
- Rapid City Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, February 1
- Sioux Falls Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, February 2
- Twin Cities Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, February 4, Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, 12650 Johnny Cake Road, Apple Valley, 3:30 p.m.
- Gustavus Band Home Concert, February 4, Christ Chapel, 7:30 p.m.
- Gustavus Choir Home Concert, February 10, Christ Chapel, 7:30 p.m.
- Marco Island gathering February 24
- Vero Beach gathering February 25
50th Anniversary Class and 50-Year Club reunions will take place on campus, May 25-26 for the Class of 1951 and the 50-Year Club. Registration material will be mailed in April.
A reminder that all other reunion classes (1956, 1961, 1966, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991 and 1996) will have their reunions at Homecoming on September 21-22. Class gatherings will take place in the Twin Cities at the DoubleTree Hotel, Minneapolis Airport at the Mall, on Friday, September 21. Homecoming activities will take place on campus on Saturday, September 22.
Will you help Gustavus remain strongly church related? Encourage your ELCA congregation to join the Gustavus Adolphus College Association of Congregations. There is no cost. For more information, call the Office of Church Relations at 800-726-6194 or e-mail Craig Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best wishes for a wonderful 2001!
Amy Haberman and Amy Seidel