Class of '93
Happy Holidays Class of 1993!
The holiday season is upon us once again. It’s time to get out the decorations, put up the Christmas tree, head out to the Malls and fight the crowds for that last gift to put under the tree.
They say that the day after Thanksgiving is called “Black Friday” because it is the day that retailers actually start making a profit for the year. As I was fighting the crowds in Omaha on that day this year, I had a couple of thoughts come to mind. First I thought “What was I thinking going out to the stores today?”
But secondly, I thought with all of the money that people are spending during the holiday season, what if everyone were to buy one less gift for their kids, dogs, or significant others and instead contributed that money to a wonderful cause such as the Gustavus Fund? We could go a long way to increasing our participation percentages, as well as the overall dollars contributed for our class. I hate to say it, but our class is not doing so well in either of those categories when compared to most of the other classes around us.
And the cute part is that you don’t have to get in your car and go to the mall to do it. All you have to do is go to the Gustavus website (gustavus.edu), and go to the Giving area of the Alumni section and there you will find a variety of ways to contribute to good old Gustavus.
If you have not donated for awhile, please reconsider, as your nominal donations today can make it possible for someone else to enjoy four terrific years at Gustavus just like you did. Remember, we are more interested in the number of donors versus the amount donated, so anything you can give is appreciated.
Gustavus Designated an “All Steinway School”
Steinway and Sons, makers of what many would say are the best pianos, has added Gustavus to its “All Steinway Schools” list. This is an exclusive list of just 66 colleges, universities, or conservatories in the world. To be considered for the Steinway designation, a school must first have at least 90 percent of its performance, practice, and teaching pianos be Steinways.
Gustavus Excels in Fitness and Dining
Men’s Fitness magazine has named Gustavus as one of the top 10 colleges in America for fitness. Among the things considered in the rankings were nutrition and dining choices, whether physical fitness is included in the curriculum, and availability of workout equipment. They also examined individual student responses to questions on topics such as alcohol consumption, tobacco use, fast-food indulgence, and exercise habits. On a related note, the Gustavus Dining Service was listed in the top 10 in a U.S. News and World Report survey on the best campus food in America.
Gustavus Alumni Professional Apparel
Check out the two new oxfords on sale online through the Gustavus Book Mark. The Book Mark is offering a women’s and men’s long sleeve shirt in a variety of colors and sizes. The shirt features an embroidered three crowns and Gustavus. A great idea for holiday shopping for your favorite Gustie. Check them out online only at www.bookmark.gustavus.edu/.
Athletic Hall of Fame Induction
On Saturday, September 30, Gustavus inducted the following people into the Athletic Hall of Fame: Deborah Jungwirth Borman ’87 - Volleyball, Tina Pulido Draper ’87 - Gymnastics, John Huepenbecker ’80 - Football, John Jambeck ’62 - Swimming, Deanne Sand Johnson ’89 - Tennis, Dick Kumlin ’55 (posthumously) – Basketball, Dan Prochnow ’78 - Golf, Jerilyn Ree ’88 - Basketball, and Stacey Rodman ’89 - Swimming.
Honor Roll of Donors
If you haven’t had a chance to find yourself online, please go to gustavus.edu/giving/honorroll to check out the 2005-2006 Honor Roll of Donors. The Honor Roll of Donors recognizes those who made gifts to Gustavus between June 1, 2005, and May 31, 2006. To find your name or check your class results, just point and click from your home or office computer. For those who do not have access to a computer, you may call toll-free 866/487-3863 to receive a copy in the mail (supplies are limited).
Obtain Life Insurance at Group Rates
The Alumni Association sponsors a life insurance plan, Life for Life, with exceptional features and low initial rates. Maximum coverage is $2 million and insurance can increase repeatedly even if your health fails and you become uninsurable. Obtain information online with the Alumni Association partner, www.meyerandassoc.com/ma/gustavus or call 800-635-7801 for more information about this and other sponsored insurance.
Gustavus Legacy Award for Gustavus Admission
Mark Anderson, Vice President of Admission and Student Financial Assistance, is pleased to announce the Gustavus Legacy Award for new students beginning with the incoming class of 2007. Renewable awards of $2,500 per year are given to new students whose siblings are current Gustavus students or graduates or whose parents or grandparents are Gustavus alumni. Scholarship recipients must have a high school grade point average of at least 3.5 or an ACT of 26 or an 1170 (Critical Reading + Math) on the SAT. For more information contact the Admission Office at 800/GUSTAVU(S) or email <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Upcoming Gustavus Events
- Jacksonville Chapter Gathering – February 11
- Orlando Chapter Gathering – February 13
- Tampa Bay Chapter Gathering – February 15
- Naples/Marco Island Chapter Gathering – February 17
- Tucson Chapter Gathering – March 16
- Phoenix Chapter Gathering – March 17
- Sun City Chapter Gathering – March 18
- Stephen Hultgren married Heidi Evensen on August 5, 2006.
- Vanessa Marcy married Dave Winokur on May 20, 2006.
- Tami Wunsch married Nugar Owen on August 13, 2006.
- Michelle Berggren Kilroy and husband, Pete, welcomed son Caleb David on February 22, 2006.
- Jen Brown Weber and husband, Eric ’95, welcomed son Tyler on August 5, 2006.
- Rob and Tammi (Wenstrom) Congdon welcomed son, Marcus Robert, on December 8, 2005. He joins sister, Hannah.
- Rolf Olson and wife, Laura, welcomed son, Anders Rafael, on May 18, 2006.
- Shannon O’Neill Kratochvil and husband, Andy, welcomed their fourth child, daughter Ella Dru, on February 14, 2006. She joins her sisters, Quinn and Britt and brother, Cullen.
- Jane Simonsen and husband, Michael Augspurger, welcomed son, Nathaniel, on June 25, 2006.
- Rachel Sinke Malsom and husband, Jesse, welcomed their third child, daughter, Olivia Shae, on April 11, 2006. She joins brothers Donovan and Landon.
- William Voelker and wife, Virginia, welcomed son, William, on February 9, 2006.
- Eric Wood and wife, Emily, welcomed daughter, Nora, on July 20, 2006.
- John Yarwood and wife, Julia, adopted son, James, on July 21, 2006 (born March 20, 2006).
- Scott Zurn and wife, Lynn, welcomed son, Grayson, on December 5, 2006.
- Michelle Berggren Kilroy is a fourth grade teacher for Cloquet Schools.
- Rob Congdon is a prosthodontist in St. Cloud.
- Rolf Olson is on his third tour with the Foreign Service, currently serving in Washington as Refugee Officer for the Balkans and Central Asia.
- Ryan Redetzke is an associate principal at Elkhorn Senior High School.
- Rachel Sinke Malsom is a high school counselor at Prior Lake High School.
- Tammi Wenstrom Congdon is an internal medicine physician in St. Cloud.
- Ben Youngdahl is attending Hamline Law School.
We hope that you and your families have a safe and happy holiday season.
Craig Anderson and Kristen Lamont
1993 Co-Class Agents