Class of '85
Happy winter! I recently had the opportunity to chaperone a field trip with my oldest daughter and her classmates. The dynamics between 13 and 14 year-old boys and girls as well as my ignorance of the technology which is second nature to them could be a letter in itself. But I spent quite a bit of time that day thinking about friends: How many do you need? How and why do friendships change? What about those people with whom you’ve lost touch―are they still friends? Think about it. Our 25th Gustavus reunion will happen in 2010. Get involved in making it an event to remember with those friends you see regularly and those you may not have talked to since graduation.
Just a few pieces of class news to report:
- Laurie Koechlein is a substitute teacher with ISD 191. She lives in Bloomington, Minnesota.
- Paul Lindberg is employed with Partners in Africa.
- Rene Vadnais Cronquist is the assistant director with the Minnesota Board of Nursing.
- Bruce Gullikson is employed with Lifetime Fitness.
- Todd Johnson and his wife, Ellen, live in Browns Valley, Minnesota. Todd reports that his nephew, Mitch Johnson ’11, is a member of the Gustavus baseball team.
Haugen Named Head Football Coach
Peter Haugen was named the new head football coach in mid-December. Haugen posted a 111-44 record in 15 years at Washburn High School. He is the 17th head coach in the 93-year history of Gustavus football and started his new position the second week of January. A Twin Cities reception to meet Coach Haugen will be held on Thursday, Feb. 12 at the Doubletree Hotel Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard. Please reserve by calling the Alumni Office at 800-487-8437.
President Ohle is on the Road!
Please join President Ohle, his wife Kris, and other Gustavus staff at a chapter dessert reception near you. President Ohle will be visiting 11 cities around the country in the coming months and all alumni, parents, and friends of the College are invited to attend a reception. Dates are listed below or check out the Alumni website to find out more details.
Mustaphi Named Michelle Obama’s Deputy Press Secretary
Semonti Mustaphi ’03 was recently named Deputy Press Secretary for First Lady Michelle Obama. Mustaphi worked on the Obama campaign, and has also held communications positions for three senators. Mustaphi graduated with a political science and communication studies double major, danced in the Gustavus Dance Company, and was an Anderson Scholar.
Join us for the “Come on You Gustie” Breakfasts. The breakfasts are held the third Wednesday of each month at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard (Hwy 394 and Hwy 100). The breakfast runs from 8-9:30 and is $10 per person. Reserve a spot by calling Don Swanson ’55 at (763) 533-9083.
Alumni Insurance Programs
Are you in need of short-term medical insurance and between jobs? Meyers and Associates can help with temporary medical insurance as well as life insurance. For information about life and short-term medical insurance, call 800-635-7801 or visit Meyer and Associates. Want to save money on your car insurance? As a Gustavus alumnus you qualify for special group discounts through Liberty Mutual.
Want to support Gustie professionals? In need of a doctor, pastor, or financial adviser? Look in the Gustie Pages, an online database of Gusties who have submitted information about their profession. Use the Gustavus network to meet your needs, or submit your professional information if you would like other Gusties to become your customers. Go to the Gustie Pages at the alumni website, www.gustavus.edu.
Mark your calendars now for Homecoming 2009! The Gustavus football team will face off against Pacific Lutheran University on Saturday, Oct. 10. Watch for more information about tons of fun events the weekend of Oct. 9 and 10.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Los Angeles Chapter Gathering - Feb. 28, Art Director's Guild, Studio City
- Boston Chapter Gathering - March 14, Hyatt Regency Cambridge
- New York Chapter Gathering - March 16, New York Marriott East Side
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Ken Westphal, vice president for finance - March 18
- Seattle Chapter Gathering - March 21, Trinity Lutheran Church, Freeland, WA
- San Francisco Chapter Gathering - March 23, Hotel Vitale
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Steve Wilkinson, men's tennis coach - April 15
Susan Johnson Chwalek
1985 Class Agent