Class of 1984
Dear 1984 Classmate:
As the saying goes, change is inevitable—and change has come to the class agent program. In this letter, we want to tell you about the changes and invite your participation in the new leadership structure.
Gustavus has announced “a new class leadership model designed to substantially increase and sustain Gustavus alumni relations to historic new levels of participation and support.” The new model is based on recommendations that came out of the President’s Task Force on Alumni Relations and Commission Gustavus 150.
The current class agent structure, which has been in place since 1954, is being upgraded to one that will allow more alumni to serve in leadership positions and reach out to classmates. The class leadership structure moving forward looks like this:
- Class President – lead class officer, oversees class activities, works with rest of the team, collaborates with Alumni Board of Directors and the Office of Alumni Relations, recruits class officers
- Reunion Chair/Vice President – recruits committee members and facilitates meetings, coordinates reunion and other events, works with the Communications and Annual Fund Chairs on reunion messaging, organizes class gatherings outside of the reunion year, and assumes responsibilities of the class president if he/she is unable to fulfil duties
- Communications Chair – writes class news for the Quarterly, handles e-mail class communication, coordinates class website/communication and social media, etc.
- Annual Fund Chair – informs, solicits, and thanks class members’ philanthropy in ways that are meaningful and appropriate for the class
- Student Recruitment Chair – engages classmates in recommending to the College future Gusties, and recruits classmates to participate in the Gustavus Recruitment Network program
All class officers will serve a term of five years, with his or her term expiring at the upcoming five-year reunion. We have not yet decided which, if any, roles we will assume because we want to see if any of you would be willing to serve in any of these roles.
So, if you are interested in serving in one of these roles, please contact Ken Ericson at firstname.lastname@example.org or Carole Arwidson at email@example.com. We need to submit names to the Alumni Office by May 1, so if you are interested, please let us know as soon as possible.
Thank you for considering serving Gustavus and the Class of 1984.
Carole Arwidson Ken Ericson
1984 Co-class Agents