Class of '84
Reunion dates ― October 9-10, 2009
Dear Class of ’84 Gustie:
I hope this class letter finds you healthy and happy during these tumultuous economic times. As you have most likely heard or read our 25th reunion is scheduled for October 9-10, 2009. Hopefully it is already on your schedule. Here are some more details:
Friday, October 9 – We will have a social gathering beginning at 7:00 p.m. at a new, upper-scale restaurant in St. Peter. It is called Richard’s and it is located between the Red Men Club and Oodles Café (formerly Cats Away Café when we were there) on third street downtown. This location comes highly recommended by many people and will offer a unique reunion opportunity with appetizers, cash bar, fire pit, etc. The estimated cost is $15 per person.
Saturday, October 10 – Many activities are being planned by the college that day. A listing of those events (tours, speakers, etc.) will come out at a later date. The events that the Class of 1984 will be focusing on are (some of the times are subject to change):
- 10:00 a.m. – Paint the Rock
- 11:00 a.m. – Homecoming parade. Our classmate and resident “townie” Pete Nelson has volunteered his golf cart to decorate for the Class of 1984 (details about decorating will be provided at a later time). The parade has grown in popularity since we were on campus and will be a fun family activity.
- 11:45 a.m. – Lunch in the “Caf,” although it is now called the “Marketplace” and is more like a food court than a cafeteria. Come and try the cuisine that today’s students are eating―I am sure it is not pocket sandwiches or tuna melts. Cost: Depends on what you eat―it’s an out-of-pocket cost for you that day. We will have a section of the dining area reserved for the Class of 1984!! Or, you can take your lunch out to the reunion tent at the football field and enjoy a pre-game “beverage of choice.”
- 12:30 p.m. – Football game vs. Pacific Lutheran University―we will have a tent at the north end of the stadium where we can socialize and watch the game. Water, soda and munchies will be provided. Beer and wine will be available for sale prior to the game, but MIAC rules prohibit the sale during the game. Game time is 1:00 p.m.
- 5:00 p.m. – Dinner in the Student Center (details will be provided). This is still being planned, but we are hoping for a pasta bar. We are trying to keep the cost to approximately $15 per person (and have child pricing as well). There will be a cash bar for wine and beer.
- 6:30 p.m. – Our classmates Cassandra (Weltsch) and Pete Nelson have volunteered to host a tent gathering in their back yard. More details will follow.
- 11:00 p.m. – Flame?
With respect to lodging, we have a few options:
- at the time of this writing, there are two rooms available at the Konsbruck Hotel―it is a new hotel and is actually connected to Richards―our venue for Friday night. Contact Kathy at Gustavus if interested: firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-933-6514.
- There are a few rooms left at the AmericInn in St. Peter. Phone number: 507-931-6554.
- There is a block of rooms at the Country Inn & Suites, Mankato – 507-388-8555
- MicroTel Inn and Suites, Mankato – 507-388-2818
- There are many other bed and breakfasts, motels and hotels in the St. Peter/Mankato area. You can find a listing on the Gustavus website (click on the visitors section) at www.gustavus.edu
We are looking forward to having the biggest reunion class Gustavus has ever witnessed. Based on the feedback we have received when making phone calls or emailing classmates, a lot of us are planning on attending one or both days. Check out “who’s planning to attend” online at the 1984 webpage―alumni.gustavus.edu/classConnections. Please help the cause by rounding up your friends and bringing everyone down for the festivities. Families are welcome. We designed the entire weekend to be casual and full of opportunities to socialize with classmates. No need to “dress up” for anything. In fact, we are encouraging everyone to don Gustie wear.
My letter wouldn’t be complete without a plea for helping out our participation rate in class giving. We are currently just under 30% and we have a goal of 50+%. This means we need approximately 100 more donors. Here are some options:
- Gustavus Annual Fund – always in need of our support.
- Class of 1984 Endowed Scholarship―We started a Class Legacy fund; when it reaches $25,000 it will provide scholarship money to a needy, deserving student every year― forever! We will include information about this student in our class letters, reunions, etc.
- Designate your donation to a favorite cause on campus
- Make a three year pledge. The pledge counts toward our reunion total, but you pay it off over three years.
- Spread your pledge out over the entire year―make monthly payments of $25 to show your pride in celebrating our 25th Anniversary.
Any amount donated/pledged counts toward our reunion total. Please show your Class of 1984 spirit by making a donation. A reunion giving card and envelope are enclosed for your convenience or you can make a donation online at: www.gustavus.edu/giving.
That’s all for now. See you in October!
1984 Co-class Agent