Class of '82
Reunion dates ― October 12 & 13, 2007
Plans for our 25th Class Reunion are well underway! Here is just a reminder of the plans for the weekend:
Friday, October 12, 2007 (St. Peter/Mankato)
12:00 - 3:30 p.m. - Golf-Informal (Shoreland) 5:00- 7:00 p.m. - Pre-parties (Best Western Hotel Pool Area) 7:00-11:00 p.m. - Dinner/socializing (Best Western Hotel)
Best Western North Mankato (former Holiday Inn)
Call 507-625-9333 and ask for the special rate for 1982 Gustavus reunion!!
Saturday, October 13, 2007 (Gustavus Campus)
9:00-10:00 a.m. - Tour of Campus
10:00-10:30 a.m. - Chapel Service (Christ Chapel)
10:45-12:30 p.m. - Brunch and Program (Alumni Hall)
12:30- 4:00 p.m. - 1982 Hospitality Tent (During Football Game)
4:00- 6:00 p.m. - Post-Party (Hospitality Tent)
Now, even more important – here is what you can do
• Come for part or all of the weekend, but come!
• Visit www.gustavus.edu/alumni, 1982 Reunion, to register for this exciting event! It would be great to have a super turnout for our 25th. In just a few short phone calls this past couple of weeks with classmates, I have been reminded of some very fond and funny memories from our days on campus. It has also been fun to catch up and hear what classmates have been up to more recently. What better way to do both of these things, in person and on campus, than by coming to the reunion!!! Mark your calendar right now for October 12th and 13th and then register on-line! Help us to lead the way and sign up now!
• Pictures – we are hoping to do a slide show to help those of us with fading memories (is it only me?) remember some of those incredibly fun times in living color (we did have color photography back then, didn’t we?)!! Gabrielle (Precilio) and Jim Thon have agreed to coordinate this so if you have pictures you could share for the slide show, please email Jim and Gabrielle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• If you have already made a financial donation to the college for the current fund year, THANK YOU!! This financial support is so important to the on-going mission of the college. In recognition of our 25th reunion year, we’d like to ask our classmates to consider a special gift and/or three year pledge for Gustavus. You can make the pledge anytime between now and our reunion and then make the financial contribution when it works best for you, within the given fund year. I’m sure the Alumni Office will be happy to assist with a reminder! Gustavus has given us all so much―this is just one way to say thank you and assist in continuing the great work of the college! Undesignated gifts are always appreciated, but if you prefer, there are many special funds that accept alumni financial gifts. Among them is the Class of 1982 Endowed Scholarship fund that was started by some 1982 alumni for the purpose of helping future students who may have a need for financial assistance.
• Email your friends to remind them to sign up! It would be really fun to have a good turnout and with your help we can do just that!
Now, after all of this, if you are still undecided about whether you are going to come to the reunion or not, I’d like you to consider the following 25 good reasons why you should come!
25 Reasons to go to the 1982 Gustavus Adolphus Reunion
1. Because it will be fun!!
2. To see which of our classmates has the most grey hair (or maybe the most hair period!)!!
3. Check out the brand new football stadium.
4. To buy updated Gustavus “wear” at the Book Mark, because, for some reason, the GAC sweatshirt you bought senior year doesn’t quite fit anymore.
5. It’s cheaper than the trip to Europe your spouse wants you to book.
6. Fall is a great time for a drive down Highway 169 (now, don’t you miss 169?) Remember the leaves?!
7. Relive your glory days!
8. Check out what has changed on campus. Especially if you have not been down since the tornado, you should come and check it out. It’s awesome!
9. Your classmate lives next to you in Edina, but you haven’t seen them in months (years?). Carpool with them to the reunion and catch up!
10. Golf! Did you see we are planning a little fall golf at Shoreland Country Club?
11. You can’t remember what your college roommate looks like.
12. To see if the dorm you lived in has been renamed.
13. Your kids are in high school and have been waiting for that perfect opportunity to have a party when mom and dad aren’t home.
14. You don’t have any kids or your kids are already away at college (or married?!) and you are tired of having dinner alone or with just your spouse. Join your classmates for a fun weekend…
15. To see what bars are still open in St. Peter.
16. To prove to your spouse that a place called “The Barn” really existed.
17. There is too much fall work to be done and this way you can put it off for a few more days (with a very good reason!)
18. To start college shopping for your children
19. To visit your son or daughter who is a student on campus and bring them a care package!
20. To see if you can still steal food from the cafeteria.
21. To go to the football game, since you never got to one when you were a student.
22. Why not―it will be too cold to go water skiing at the cabin and too early for ice fishing.
23. You’ve promised your spouse you won’t go hunting at least one weekend this fall. Come to the reunion instead!
24. To see if the rock is still there. Anyone want to paint it?
25. Your classmates want you to be there―especially me! I hope you will consider coming. It won’t be the same without you!
If you need more reasons, feel free to call or email your classmates―I’m sure you’ll come up with a whole bunch of other good reasons―you’re a college graduate after all!
We hope that you are enjoying the coming of spring. As you think about graduation season, which is almost upon us now, and think back 25 years (can you believe it!), I hope those many fond memories will bring you back for a very special weekend.
All the best until we meet again (this fall!),
Mona Anderson Gerike
(on behalf of your Reunion Committee)
JC Anderson Tim Kennedy
Brett Aamot Jane McDowell-Johnson
Jim Bjork Betsy Setzer Olson
John Bergstrom Richard Olson
Tom Bergstrom Gabrielle Precilio Thon
Tim Dittberner Jim Thon
Dawn Abraham Erickson Mark Tipps
Ruth Hogenson-Rutford Ann McGowan Wasson
Connie Jo Piehl Johnston
News and Notes from our classmates:
The US Air Force has decorated Dr. Julie Moses with the Civilian Achievement Medal for distinguished performance. The medal is presented to an individual or group for clearly outstanding service for a single, specific act or accomplishment in support of the unit’s mission or goals. She distinguished herself as a senior physical scientist assigned to the Chief Scientist’s Office at the Air Force Office of Scientific Research in Arlington, VA and the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, OH. She worked with the chief scientist to draft the Discovery Challenge Themes, the basic research portion of the Focused Long Term Challenges.
Susie Ellingson Busch became the director of the Eden Prairie Family Center in July 2006. The center in Eden Prairie helps lots of kids and families get a head start on school, and learn ways to grow up happy and healthy together. It is also the home of four programs; Early Childhood Family Education, family center preschool, school readiness preschool, and parent education.
Kathy Flory is an OB/GYN in a private practice clinic. She hopes to make it to the reunion.
Marlys Sandve McDevitt is a family nurse practitioner and also teaches at the University of Minnesota for nurse practitioner students.
Kevin Kramer will be completing 25 years with Federated Mutual Insurance Company and joining their Quarter Century Club.