Class of 1974
Gustavus Adolphus College has initiated a new class leadership structure, effective June 1, 2011, to substantially increase and sustain Gustavus alumni relations to new levels of participation and support for the mission-central work of the college. It is in that spirit and in the Cec Eckhoff tradition, that we are asking you to join us as one of fifty-six team leaders for the class of 1974.
We are calling our leadership program, “Seven to Serve.”
Goal – our goal is to make contact with all 325 known classmates by May 1, 2012, secure an email address (USPS if no email) for each one of us and with the permission of the classmate, post an update in every Quarterly, starting with the college’s sesquicentennial year!
Will you please join our effort and become a 1974 class team member? Here is what we are asking of you:
- Build a team of 7 – your team.
- Secure email or USPS address for each member of your team.
- Gain permission to post an update in the Quarterly for each member of your team.
- Communicate to your team within seven (7) days of receipt of class information.
- Attend two Gustavus events per year (schedule permitting).
- Gather information from your team for our class letter.
- Recommend a quality high school student to Gustavus when such a student comes to mind. Admissions will recruit.
- Give no less than $19.74 to the annual alumni fund.
- Have fun in the process. We want to build a fun communication network on the gift of our shared Gustavus experience.
Class team leaders service terms are no less than 18 and no more than 480 months.
The reason we have 56 class team leaders, each willing to serve seven (7) classmates is because seven reaching seven who reach seven will more than cover the 349 of us who graduated in 1974. Did you know we graduated 130 men and 219 women? I didn’t either. Also reaching seven is “doable” and we are all about setting a plan which can be achieved. The other element of this is we want to have some fun along the way, so we plan to have a presence at several events throughout the year, not the least of which will be an annual reunion at homecoming.
With the network we will build we want to create connections that could have 1974 gatherings at Nobel, Christmas in Christ Chapel, sporting events and of course our major 5-year reunions. Along the way we will have to have planning meetings which will give us a chance to huddle.
Now, having said all of this, we may just end up with great email conversations, the class with the MOST Quarterly entries and a vehicle to communicate as a group. I think a lot about you all and would love to sit and talk about the journey since Gustavus and the challenges of the day.
Thank you for considering this 1974 class team leaders. Let Jan or me know of your intention to join by sending us an email at:
Jan Ledin Michaletz