Class of '74
35-Year Reunion ― October 9-10, 2009
Greetings Class of 1974!
We have just returned from Volunteer Leadership Day at Gustavus all fired up about our upcoming reunion, October 9 & 10. You all have received the invitation via email and post mail we’re also enclosing a full schedule of Homecoming events with this letter. Please sign up. The easiest way to do it is on line. The main event for our class will be our gathering Saturday night at the Sheraton Hotel in Bloomington (formerly Radisson South).
Even if you are unable to attend I encourage you to go on line at gustavus.edu/give and make a contribution. Every contribution helps. We recognize the fact that times are tight, but even a $20 pledge builds support for the College.
We look forward to seeing everyone October 9 & 10, 2009! Go Gusties (okay, so maybe we are a little too fired up ☺)!
Your class agents,
Rob Linner and Jan Ledin Michaletz
- Robin Stender is currently working at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center in their outpatient dual diagnosis addictive disorders unit and enjoys working with the many veterans who have served our country. She is able to use complimentary healing techniques that she learned through the Mind Body Institute. She lives in Shorewood, Minnesota with her husband of two and a half years, Terry Johnson. They have three sons, Chris, Justin and Matt, all in their mid-twenties and all working and living independently. Son, Justin, graduated with a music degree and is getting married in October in Christ Chapel to a Gustie alumnus, Lindsey.
- Nancy Forman Keay is designing and producing paraments, ecclesiastic banners and textile art for churches (all denominations) in the Pacific Northwest. She includes references to Christ Chapel whenever possible. Their son, Peter, graduated from Gustavus in 2007.
- Carol Sjoding Custead and her husband, Scott, serve as co-pastors at Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church (ELCA) in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, after serving as co-pastors at Zion Lutheran Church in Hollidaysburg, PA for 22 years. They have also traveled with various global mission trips to Kenya, Thailand, Laos and Honduras.
- Paul Hacklander suffered a massive stroke in November of 2008 and is undergoing intensive therapy. Paul is in good spirits as he works his way back. If you would like to send Paul encouragement his address is: 39 Sycamore Road, Asheville, NC 28804.
- David Lofgren, M.D. is a full-time physician at the new clinic in Rushford, Minnesota. David is a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians, the Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians and the Minnesota Medical Association.
- Craig Thauwald, M.D. is a family practitioner at the Olmsted Medical Center in Stewartville, Minnesota, since the clinic opened in 1983.
- Andrea Adams Jones is living in Houston, Texas is married to Lloyd Jones, and has a fourteen-year-old son, VanArthur. She works at Exxon Mobil Corporation in litigation and toxic tort.
- Gail Janezich is an ESL Instructor and has a master’s degree in creative writing and poetry.
- Marlys Rupprecht Wollschlager retired this past June after teaching 34 years in Madison, Minnesota at MMN. After graduation she began teaching second grade at Madison District #2158 and ended her tenure after 34 years of teaching second grade. She received her master’s of education from the University of Minnesota in 1986. She was a “Teacher of the Year” nominee in 1992.
All of us remember the Folke Bernadotte Memorial Library. It was a place for study and, depending on your era, finding a “coffee date.” But, in the 21st century, it has become much more. It is a technology-rich laboratory for learning and a storehouse of culture and recorded knowledge. It must constantly be strengthened to ensure excellence in education. The Gustavus Library Associates (GLA) provides financial support for the library and a program of events to its members. Join this year and immediately make a difference. Whatever membership gift level you choose, 100% goes directly to the library’s acquisition budget. Join today at www.gustavus.edu/GLA!!!
Men's Golf Named Academic National Champions
The Gustavus men’s golf team has been selected by the Golf Coaches Association of America as the Academic National Champions for Division III. Coach Scott Moe’s 2008-09 squad was the only team in Division III to post a cumulative team grade point average above 3.50. This is the first year that the GCAA has honored teams for their academic standing.
A Walk in the Arb
As part of Homecoming Weekend, the Linnaeus Arboretum will be hosting its annual Fall Fest on that Saturday, October 10. Come enjoy a guided hike through the arboretum and browse its many beautiful flower gardens and tree collections. Maple trees will be in their fall peak this weekend. Master Gardeners and tree care experts will be available to address your questions and concerns, so bring a branch! Bring your kids for a hayride through the arboretum! Have a look at this year’s scarecrows around the Borgeson cabin! Enjoy cookies and lemonade, purchase an arboretum t-shirt. The weather for last year’s Fall Fest was absolutely gorgeous, and we expect this year to be no different! For more information, call 507-933-6181 or email email@example.com.
“Come on You Gusties” Breakfast
Once a month, Gusties gather for coffee, breakfast, and great conversation along with a campus speaker. All Gusties are welcomed and invited to the breakfast, third Wednesday of the month, 8-9:30 a.m. at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard. Cost is $10 at the door.
President Jack R. Ohle – Oct. 21
Chaplain Brian Johnson ’80 – Nov. 18
Thomas Young ’88 – Dec. 16
- Nobel Conference: H²0 Uncertain Resource – October 6-7, 2009
- Homecoming/Family Weekend – October 9-10, 2009
- Athletics Hall of Fame – October 17, 2009
- Gustavus Library Associates – A Royal Affair – November 14, 2009
- Farewell for Steve and Barb Wilkinson, Minneapolis Hyatt - December 12