Class of '61
September 2006 - B
Reunion dates ― October 6 & 7, 2006
Dear 45th Reunion Classmates,
It is time to register for our events on October 6 and 7. Why should you come?
- Because ‘61 classmates are a great group – I can vouch for them
- Because we want you to come
- Because you are retired―or almost―and relaxed
- Because you still can
- Because two great meals and two special programs are being planned
- Because you deserve a good time
- Because you remember good people from when you were at Gustavus
- Because campus is beautiful again, even with the tornado’s toll
- Because October can be gorgeous in Minnesota
- Because the nests are empty and you deserve a carefree break
- Because the Radisson-Plymouth has great ambience
- Because the 10 a.m. memorial service in Christ Chapel is moving—the chapel is beautiful and a chime tolls for each Gustie who died during the year
- Because Jim Gilbert ’62 is giving an Arboretum Tour that is sure to be special
- Because the Homecoming football game will still be on the old field – our field
- Because we have all changed―for the better
- “For you belong to GA College and Gustavus belongs to you”
Our Class of 1961 Scholarship needs help. It will be especially meaningful if most of our classmates can participate at some level. Wonderful contributions have come in thus far totaling a little over $6,000 and this effort will remain ongoing. The scholarship will only be awarded to a deserving student when the entire $25,000 endowment is established. We will receive information about the Gustie who receives the scholarship each year―if the student is willing to disclose that information.
I deserve 45 lashes with a wet noodle for misinforming you. Actually the 2006 Gustavus Alumni Fund remains open for reunion classes only until the reunion date―October 6. We are at a 68% participation level now and only a few classmates could boost that to 70%. Please refer to your checkbook to be certain that you sent your gift during our reunion year (June 1, 2005 to October 6, 2006). There is also a new pledge plan that was set up as an incentive for student callers (Gus Link) in some previous year, which allows an alum to make a three-year pledge; Gustavus then sends a reminder for the second and third years of the pledge. Future pledges also count towards our ‘reunion giving’ to the college―so if you’ve already given and are able to make a pledge commitment over the next two years, call in or send in your Anniversary Gift Card in today!
Hope to see you October 6 in Plymouth and October 7 at Gustavus. I will share messages from anyone who absolutely cannot come if you e-mail them to: email@example.com. The Radisson-Plymouth is easy to find, and the drive along Highway 169 takes you straight south for about an hour through appealing countryside directly to the turn-off in St. Peter to Gustavus’ campus for Saturday’s events. Gustavus thanks you―truly―and it looks forward to having you come back.
Virgene Grack Sehlin
Reunion Committee Member and Class Agent