Class of '44
Happy New Year! It is nice to be back in the Arizona sunshine after a nine day Christmas in Minnesota. It snowed 8 inches the day before our return, so I became reacquainted with the snow shovel. Love those changes of seasons!
I received a card from Lorraine Holmgren Jacobson! Her granddaughter graduates from Gustavus in 2001! Her three daughters and a daughter-in-law have graduated from Gustavus! You’ve done a great job instilling that Gustavus spirit. She keeps busy with community plays and is a member of ELCA Synod boards. Her husband died in 1989.
Joanne (Mortensen) and Harold "Pete" Peterson are all settled in Tucson and loving it! They have joined Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church. Her children, Drew ’68, practices law in Alaska and Rich ’76 is in communications in Littleton, Colorado. Their daughter, Mimi ’74, lives in New Zealand.
Now for the Campus News!
The Gustavus campus is enjoying another busy and exciting January Term with 2300-plus students enrolled for credit! We are offering over 100 January Term courses, including 16 travel courses (plus 36 international courses through our UMAIE consortium). There are also 15 courses on the special Environmental Studies theme for J-Term 2001. Some of these courses include, Chemistry in the Environment, The Literature of Winter, Geographical Issues in the Third World, Global Environmental Change, Amazonia: An Eco-Historical Perspective, GIS in Environmental Analysis, The Changing Face of Agriculture, and Environmental Journalism. Next year (2002) the January Term theme will be "Global Village" and will feature both international and domestic diversity focused courses. After that J-Term themes are planned for "Service-Learning" (2003) and "Undergraduate Research" (2004).
You are invited and encouraged to attend these upcoming national chapter alumni events. Invitations are sent to alumni in chapters. For more information, please call the Alumni Office at 800-487-8437 or look on the web at gustavus.edu.
- Sun City Chapter, pre-concert dinner and Gustavus Choir Concert, January 25
- Phoenix Chapter, pre-concert dinner and Gustavus Choir Concert, January 26
- Tucson Chapter gathering on January 27
- Albuquerque Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, January 28
- Santa Fe Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, January 29
- Denver Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concerts, January 30 & 31
- Rapid City Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, February 1
- Sioux Falls Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, February 2
- Twin Cities Chapter, Gustavus Choir Concert, February 4, Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, 12650 Johnny Cake Road, Apple Valley, 3:30 p.m.
- Gustavus Band Home Concert, February 4, Christ Chapel, 7:30 p.m.
- Gustavus Choir Home Concert, February 10, Christ Chapel, 7:30 p.m.
- Marco Island gathering February 24
- Vero Beach gathering February 25
50th Anniversary Class and 50 Year Club reunions will take place on campus, May 25-26 for the Class of 1951 and the 50 Year Club. Registration material will be mailed in April.
A reminder that all other reunion classes (1956, 1961, 1966, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991 and 1996) will have their reunions at Homecoming on September 21-22. Class gatherings will take place in the Twin Cities at the DoubleTree Hotel, Minneapolis Airport at the Mall, on Friday, September 21. Homecoming activities will take place on campus on Saturday, September 22.
Will you help Gustavus remain strongly church related? Encourage your ELCA congregation to join the Gustavus Adolphus College Association of Congregations. There is no cost. For more information, call the Office of Church Relations at 800-726-6194 or e-mail Craig Johnson at email@example.com.
I’m disappointed that more of you haven’t returned the post card with an update on your life! Come on, it only takes a few minutes. We need news!
Hoping that 2001 is a good, healthy year.
Ruth Sponberg Cook
1944 Class Agent