Class of 2003
Greetings Gustavus Class of 2003!
Happy Holidays from Evansville, Indiana! This past year has been a busy one for me. A year ago my husband and I relocated to southern Indiana. Since then I have been busy remodeling my house, studying for the Indiana Bar Examination and searching for a job. Every couple of months since relocating I travel up to Indianapolis, Indiana to meet with Emily Gill and Becca Boesen Anderson. This past month our gathering was extra special because Lindsay Wright Atherton-Ely flew in from Minnesota to join us as well. Weddings seem to be the conversation of choice. Lindsay Wright was married to Zach Atherton-Ely this past May, Becca Anderson is getting married to Colin Campbell next April and Emily Gill is getting married to Brandon Lettow next December.
The holidays and weddings are not the only things that are keeping members of the Gustavus Class of 2003 busy. In the past year Katie Bradley has traveled to Korea twice and played Mulan at the Children’s Theatre Company. Emily Gill traveled to Dublin, Ireland to work as an assistant director with the Gaiety School of Acting and research an upcoming play. Amy Hiscock Daly started her master’s in nursing program with an emphasis on education and informatics this past fall, and Becca Anderson will finish her internal medicine/pediatrics residency at Indiana University this coming June.
I hope that this letter finds you all well. I encourage all of you to keep sending your updates. I also encourage you to consider giving a gift to the Gustavus Annual Fund this holiday season. Again, happy holidays and as always “Go Gusties!”
2003 Co-Class Agent
- Carmen Mayo was married to Andrew Carter on July 26, 2005.
- Allison Hawley was married to Justin March on August 30, 2009
- Megan Wahlund married Jeremy Blaschko on October 16, 2010.
- Kristen Fichtner was married to Nathan Hellwig on June 12, 2010.
- Katie Ackert was married to Jeremy Schroeder.
- Rachel Sherman was married to Peter Johnson on October 10, 2010.
- Mark ’02 and Abby (Roen) Flores welcomed daughter, Avalee Birkett Roen Flores, to the family on June 22, 2009.
- Cory ’02 and Sandy (Valnes) Quammen welcomed daughter, Linnea Marit Quammen, to the family on February 15, 2010.
- Andrew ’04 and Katie (Nolan) Nelson welcomed daughter, Isla Rose, to the family.
- Nate and Kelley (Conley) Reiter welcomed Liam Francis Reiter and Lily Mary Reiter to the family on December 15, 2009.
- Jamie and Marnie (Stenson) Steele welcomed daughter, Brynley Sue Steele, to the family on November 3, 2009.
- Alex and Alison (Doppelhammer) Gorsevski welcomed son, Damian, to the family on February 8, 2010.
- Keith and Emily (Ament) Wartsbaugh welcomed Eden to the family on December 18, 2009.
- Nate Bergengren and Audrey Peeters Bergengren welcomed Vivian Rae to the family on August 7, 2010.
- Tom Schmit and Monica Cook Schmit ’02 welcomed Arlo Thomas Schmit to the family on June 9, 2010.
- Samuel and Megan (Trapp) Henschen welcomed son, Owen Trapp Henschen, to the family on October 4, 2010
- Nick and Anna (Felkey) Lovas welcomed Jacob Russell Lovas to the family on September 8, 2010.
- Katie Ackert Schroeder received her master’s in public policy from Northwestern University
- Kira Rice Hilden is working as a psychologist at Minnesota Psychological Resources.
- Sandy Valnes Quammen is teaching French at Duke.
- Jill Sink graduated from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry in May 2010. Jill plans to start an internship in oral surgery at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center in July 2010.
- Christopher Vaubel is an orthodontics resident at the University of Minnesota.
- Kristen O’Connell was promoted to Dean of Faculty for the online campuses of Minnesota School of Business, Globe University and Utah Career College.
- Kari Vickerman Taintor graduated from St. Thomas in May 2009 with a MBA.
- Bethany Mueller earned a master’s of social work degree from the University of Washington and is completing a post-master’s fellowship at the Center for Substance Abuse Training and Education at the Seattle VA Medical Center.
- Allison Hawley March graduated from the University of Minnesota School of Public Heath in August 2009 with a master’s of public health in administration and policy. Allison is currently working for the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
- Sarah Grimsby McQuade is working as a copywriter for Meta Payment Systems in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- Danny Dietl is a realtor at Realty Executives Associates.
- Joel Fischer is a consultant at Carlson Ventures Enterprises at Carlson School of Management.
- Ambryn Melius is a graduate student in the dance/movement therapy and counseling program at Columbia College in Chicago. In 2009, Ambryn gained her yoga teaching certification at the Samarya Center for Integrated Movement Therapy in Seattle, Washington.
- Emily Gill is in the second year of her MFA (master’s of fine arts) in directing (theatre) program at Illinois State University.
The Gustavus Alumni Association is bringing together about 25,000 Gusties to celebrate the College’s 150th anniversary. In partnership with Publishing Concepts, Inc. (PCI), Gustavus will produce the 150th Anniversary Commemorative Alumni Directory. Over the next couple of months, PCI will be contacting Gustavus alumni via phone, mail, and e-mail to request that you update your information. We know you don’t want to provide your information to just anyone, so we want you to be aware of this project and encourage your participation. For more information, call the Office of Alumni Relations at 800-487-8437.
Athletics Hall of Fame
Gustavus inducted new members into its Athletics Hall of Fame at a banquet on Saturday, October 9. Inductees for 2010 are: Evie Cieslar Erdman ’73, benefactor; Duke Paluch ’84, tennis; Erik Allen ’92, basketball; Peter Anderson ’92, golf; Leigh Stocker Berger ’92, volleyball; Angela White Vick ’92, track and field; Heidi Rostberg Carlson ’93, tennis; Erik Hendrikson ’94, hockey, football; Paige Tierney Sullivan ’95, soccer; and the Hall of Fame Moment−1990 Women’s Tennis National Championship.
“Come on You Gusties” Breakfast
Once a month, Gusties gather for coffee, breakfast, and great conversation along with a campus speaker. All Gusties are welcomed and invited to the breakfast, third Wednesday of the month, 8-9:30 a.m. at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard. Cost is $10 at the door. Upcoming breakfasts include: Neal Hagberg ’81 and Leandra Peak ’83, musicians, on Dec. 15; and the winter sports coaches on Jan. 19.
This year and next, President and Kris Ohle have many travel dates planned in order to reach out to all of our alumni and bring them an update from the College. Please mark your calendar if you live in or near one of these locations
- Palm Springs – January 7
- Los Angeles – January 8
- San Francisco – January 9
- Seattle – January 27
- Tucson – February 8
- Phoenix – February 10
- Denver – February 11
- Boston – March 2
- New York – March 4
- Washington, DC – March 5
- Jacksonville, FL – March 26
- Orlando – March 28
- Tampa – March 29
- Naples – March 30
- Chicago – April 29