Class of '97
Dear Class of '97 -
Happy End of Winter/Start of Spring '97 Gusties!
As yet another J-Term is in the books it is strange to think it has been 7 years since we spent a winter 'on the hill.' Thinking back, it is fun to remember that this time of year is when the Library turns into a jail from Spring as opposed to a warm haven from Winter winds, co-ed IM broomball teams turn into co-ed IM softball teams, and J-Term Touring Week turns its eyes towards Spring Break travel. For some of you life isn't all that different, but others now only enjoy a few weeks of vacation the ENTIRE year! Hope all is well with you and your loved ones as we SPRING forward into this new season!
And now here is an update of what is happening with your fellow classmates …
Working for a living . . .
- Bill Aase is an attorney with the law office of Aase & Kirscher.
- Jill (Buhse) Anderson is the director of sales, national accounts, for Artisan Entertainment.
- Jill (Budach) Bergmann was ordained into the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America in August 2003. Jill now serves as associate pastor at Hosanna Lutheran Church in Forest Lake, MN.
- Kari Binning is a registrar at Alliance Francaise in Minneapolis-St. Paul.
- Andrea Cordes is a 2nd grade teacher in the Bloomington School District.
- Nicole Elver is an attorney with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Carrie Enstad was named Outstanding Young Conductor of the Year by the Minnesota ACDA.
- Lars Ericson is a research associate with the Naval Research Library in Washington, MD.
- Patrick Fischer is a pipe organ builder with C.B. Fisk, Inc. in Gloucester, MA and director of music at First Lutheran Church in Lynn, MA.
- Kari Fletcher is a clinical social worker at the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis.
- Heather Ford is an executive assistant with Land 'O Lakes Dairy Foods division.
- Travis Garms is a senior auditor with Ernst & Young in Denver, CO.
- Eric Gilbertson is a foot and ankle surgeon with Merit Care Clinic in Bemidji, MN.
- Andy Hagen works for WOLF Adventures in Malibu, CA.
- Jina (Faurot) Hagen works for Genzyme Genetics in Orange, CA.
- Josh Heugal is a sales engineer at Imaje USA.
- Alicia Johnson is working as an HR systems analyst in General Mills' HR Department.
- Joshua Johnson is working as an optical metrologist for Kodak in Rochester, NY.
- Dawn Kelling is a social worker in Olmstead County.
- John Kvamme is an assistant golf professional at Legacy at Craigans golf course.
- Tiffany Schultz-Lenton is a 2nd grade teacher in the Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District.
- Cherie Litwiller is a chemistry teacher at the International School of Amsterdam in Amstelveen, Netherlands.
- Adam McFarland is a social studies teacher in the Lake of the Woods School District.
- Kristine Morrell is an AVP/ Leveraged Finance professional with Merrill Lynch Capital in Chicago, IL.
- Ashley (Baker) Owens is a branch manager with Amsouth Bank in Ocala, FL.
- Jennifer (Kate) Peterson is a science and engineering librarian with California State University – Long Beach.
- Kara (Buckner) Peterson won an Emmy award from Outstanding Commercial for her fish ad for PBS. Kara works with Fallon Worldwide in Minneapolis.
- Shawn Rasmussen is the director of technology at the Minnesota Business Academy in St. Paul.
- Angie (Sands) Schwartz is a Pacific yield management analyst at Northwest Airlines.
- Tanya (Warmka) Siedlecki is a 7th grade teacher at Cambridge Middle School.
- Erik Wood is a marketing product manager at Parallax, Inc. in Rockin, CA.
Going to the Chapel
- Mary Babel was married on 7/26/03 to Bob Tzucker of Indianapolis, IN, in Edina, MN.
- Angela Bauer and Greg Erickson were married on August 2, 2003.
- Christie Chlian and Sam Converse were married on December 21, 2002 and are living in Alexandria, MN.
- Jennifer Dean and Matthew Nelson were married on August 9, 2003 and reside in Houston, TX.
- Jina Faurot and Andy Hagen were married on October 18, 2003. They are living in Redondo Beach, CA.
- Josh Heugel and Anne Mealey were married on April 26, 2003. They are living in Minneapolis.
- Emily Schlough and Jonathan Hamilton were married on July 5, 2003. The couple is now living in Minneapolis.
- Kristina Schoenrock and Alex Alfonso were married on August 22, 2003. They are living in Long Beach, CA.
- Pete Taurinskas and Mary Mezori were married on September 27, 2003.
- Karissa Wicklander and Wayde Kirvida were married on June 28, 2003. They are now living in White Bear Lake, MN.
- Karol '98 and Eric Gilbertson welcomed baby boy, Alec Michael, on September 10, 2003.
- Andrew Gunsaullus and his wife Shawn (Severson) had a baby boy Aidan.
He came into the world with a bang on July 4th, 2003!
- Tonsha (McPherson) and Steve '95 Hokanson brought baby, Adam JohnSteven, into the world on October 23, 2003.
- Tiffany (Wild) and Brian Mikolichek had a baby boy, Porter Nelson, on September 11, 2003.
- Sara (Nelson) and Nathan Mueller, welcomed baby girl, Julia Susan Mueller, on September 28, 2003.
- Ashley (Baker) and Randy Owens gave birth to son, Jake Elliott, on March 1, 2003.
- Tanya (Warmka) and Jeffrey Siedlecki had baby girl, Molly Elizabeth Susan, on August 30, 2003.
- Jennifer (Pleuss) and Nathan Spande had baby girl, Elena Grace, on October 10, 2003.
- Kristi (Svee) and Bryan Stranberg had a baby boy, William John, on September 3, 2003.
- Sarah (Loveland) and Michael Zenk gave birth to daughter, Natalie Sharon, on April 3, 2003.
Back to School
- Kristina (Schoenrock) Alfonso completed her master's in education from National University in 2002.
- Mary Babel, New York, NY, is a full-time student at the City University of New York studying nursing.
- Sara (Machel) Beach is currently attending the College of St. Catherine's for a master's degree in occupational therapy.
- Lars Ericson completed his doctorate of philosophy degree from Rice University in September 2003.
- Alison (Rucinski) Goodwin received a master's in business taxation degree from the University of Minnesota – Carlson School of Management in September 2003.
- Alicia Johnson is currently attending St. Thomas University's human resource MBA program.
- Joshua Johnson graduated with a Ph.D. in optics in March 2003.
- Tiffany Schultz-Lenton received her master's in curriculum & instruction from Minnesota State-Mankato.
- Sheralyn McClelland is attending Pacific College of Oriental Medicine for her master's of science in traditional Oriental medicine degree.
- Jennifer (Dean) Nelson is attending Texas Woman's University for her master's degree in physical therapy.
- Matthew Shores is a post-doc candidate in chemistry at MIT.
- Vihra Sotirova is a graduate student in genetics of developmental biology at the University of Connecticut Health Center.
Again, as your class agents, we wish you all the best. As Spring arrives, so does APRIL 15th a.k.a. TAX DAY! Let us leave you with a couple of thoughts:
a.) If you get a refund from 'Uncle Sam', why not send some of that refund towards the Gustavus Alumni Fund where it can be used to further enhance the Gustavus experience for all?
b.) If you have to write a check to the U.S. Government, since the checkbook is already out, why not write a check to the Gustavus Alumni Fund where it can be used to further enhance the Gustavus experience for all? Just a thought...Happy Spring GA Class of '97
Did you know . . .
- Nearly 80% of Gustavus students graduate in four years, compared with 56% of students from other Minnesota private colleges; the national average is 17%.
- There are seven choral ensembles and 23 instrumental ensembles, two jazz, four woodwind and three brass ensembles.
- Scholarships and financial assistance for Gustavus students totals $18M, almost 25 percent of Gustavus' annual budget? Alumni Fund gifts, including designated and unrestricted gifts, help enable students to receive a Gustavus education.
- More than 40 percent of Gustavus students volunteer through the Gustavus community service center on a regular basis.
- For student safety, the campus is well-lit, there is 24-hour Safety and Security patrol and escort service, residence halls are locked 24 hours a day, and there are blue light emergency phones throughout campus linked directly to Safety and Security.
- And looking back -- during the college's early years, students were awakened by a bell at 5:45 a.m. and all lights had to be out by 10:30 p.m.If
Melissa LeVesque Piela Jon Swanson
Josh Peterson Stef Tucker
Here is a photo that was misplaced in the Alumni Office so did not get printed for a while. Please send your photos to the Alumni Office if you would like them included in a class letter. Wedding photos and cannot be printed in the Quarterly, but can be included in class letters.
Wedding of Barb Freimuth and Shannon Siefken, June 17, 2000.
Back row from left to right: Chris Pearson Floss '69, Carl Evenson '97, Jeremy Zwart '97, Kyle Lehenbauer '97, Jon Swanson '97, Mike McCue '97.
Middle row: Angie Stene '97, Antony Sargent '97, Stefanie Tucker '97, Tara Zahler '97, Becky Vanderworf '98, Chris Brady '97, Rochelle Cadwallader '97, Stacy McMurtry Freimuth '95, David Emdick '97.
Front row: Jill Watson Swanson '97, Julie Buerkle Radneicki '97, Shannon Siefken '97, Barb Freimuth Siefken '97, Kevin Myers '97, Rob Friemuth '95.