Class of '97
Hello 1997 Classmates & Friends,
The Summer Season is upon us, and the dorms are in full use by the tennis, basketball, and music camps. As hot as July has been, can you imagine what those rooms must feel like in mid-summer heat? I’ve always wondered what it is like to be on campus during the summer. All of those young kids get to enjoy the flowers that spend most of the academic year looking like giant dirt mounds. All the holes that were filled with toothpaste have been discovered by now, and damage deposits are being cashed in by the College. The caf is trying to figure out why they have so much more dishware in the summer than during the school year. They just can’t figure out where that stuff goes during the year.
In town, Patrick’s is busy focusing on the local patrons, and Swede Park is still being cleaned from Senior Week. Isn’t it amazing to think that this recent group of graduates were going to the high school Prom and taking their ACTs around the time that we graduated from College. You know you are old when the student body is unrecognizable and all of these memories are from "the good old days" at Gustavus.
Who knew, our five-year reunion is one year away! We look forward to seeing you in the fall of 2002. But until then, here is some news of what you’ve been up to lately. We have gotten so much news coming our way, thanks for keeping in touch! It is always great to hear from you! Remember, you can contact any of us through the alumni portion of the Gustavus web page: gustavus.edu
GOING TO THE CHAPEL
- Chris Anderson and Kelle Sauer ’96 were married on December 2, 2000. They now live in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Julie Brouwer and Steven Dvergsten were married on June 16, 2001.
- Mike Collard and Heather Fitch ’96 were married on September 29, 2000. They now live in Orlando, Florida.
- Alan Doud and Kristen Franz were married on May 19, 2001.
- Andrew Dow and Kristi Klenec were married on August 19, 2000. They live in Louisville, Kentucky.
- Kate Melchert was married to Aaron Langer on March 31, 2001.
- Matt Sanderson and Caitlin Christensen ’99 were married on January 20, 2001.
- Danette Schultz and Arnold Tolan were married on April 1, 2000 and now live in Okoboji, Iowa.
- Carrie Swanson and Chris Enstad ’96 were married on July 10, 1999.
- Amy Swenson and Jan Magnusson ’95 were married on June 23, 2000.
- Christian Hanninen and Kirsten Vedell Hanninen ’95 had baby girl, Calista, on September 26, 2000.
- Margaret Sheie Krull and husband, Jeffrey Krull, welcomed their son, Grant Theodore, on December 18, 1999.
- Denise Pulis Petrich and Shane Petrich ’96, had baby boy, Connor Jordan, on October 22, 2000.
- Daphne Gries Roberts and her husband, Chris, welcomed baby boy, Alexander Chistopher James, on February 28, 2001.
- Deb Theis Scherber and husband, Jason, welcome their second son, Jacob.
- Emily Sanvick Thompson and husband, Leif, are proud to announce the birth of their baby boy, Seth Anders, born June 27, 2000.
TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT
- Janna Fluegge Ahlers is a senior underwriter in mortgage services at Conseco Finance.
- Carrie Bauer is a teacher of elementary education in Cannon Falls, MN.
- Kendall Boyum is a teacher at Blackhawk Middle School in Eagan, MN
- Erika Burge is a reference assistant at the University of St. Thomas.
- Kathy Chillstrom is managing the Wisconsin Travel Information Center in the Mall of America.
- Mike Collard is a professional musician in Orlando, Florida.
- Jen Johnson Cords is a financial planner with Lutheran Brotherhood.
- Danelle Duran is employed by Minnesota Life.
- Jason Durheim is a 4th grade teacher in Hutchinson, MN.
- Donna Fierko-Beadle works for Minnesota Life.
- Kari Fletcher is a social worker in psychiatry at the V.A. Medical Center in Minneapolis.
- Heather Ford is an administrative account coordinator at Marketing Specialists in Eden Prairie.
- Nancy Kewitsch is a marketing director for Cramer Building Services, Minneapolis.
- Margaret Sheie Krull is a physical therapist in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Kari Lennartson works at the Art Instruction School in Minneapolis.
- Mike Logan is employed by Dayton Hudson Corporation.
- Amy Swenson Magnusson is a second grade teacher at Powderhorn Elementary, Minneapolis.
- Lisa Mueller is residence director, Apartments and Campus Houses, College of St. Benedict.
- Heather Olson is a student at Luther Seminary.
- Denise Pulis Petrich works at the Minnesota Security Hospital in St. Peter, MN.
- Shanda Reinke is a clinical genetic counselor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
- Heidi Rietz recently graduated from Midwestern University as a physician’s assistant. Heidi now works at the Austin Medical Center in Austin, MN.
- Joy Bierbaum Rundell is a field sales manager at Pitney Bowes.
- Matt Sanderson is an assistant golf professional at St. Paul Town and Country Club.
- Barb Friemuth Siefken is a physical therapist in Longmont, Colorado.
- Shannon Siefken is employed at Melles Griot in Boulder, Colorado.
- Leah Schultz is a senior program manager at NeuVision Group.
- Andy Velishek is a Phys. Ed. Teacher in White Bear Lake, MN.
- Jennifer Vickerman is a field auditor with Musicland Group.
- Sarah Loveland Zenk is a software engineer at the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
HITTIN' THE BOOKS
- Kyle Lehenbauer is attending medical school in Detroit, Michigan.
- Julie Buerkle Radniecki graduated with a Master's in school counseling in May 2001.
You’ll hear from us again soon this fall!
We are looking forward to seeing you at our Reunion in the Fall of 2002!
Your 1997 Co-Class Agents,
Melissa LeVesque Piela Josh Peterson Stef Tucker Jon Swanson